Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Looking back on the build-up of events that culminated in NUMBER FOURTEEN - The Wedding on Saturday October 4th, 2014, I can only say it was God's plan from the very beginning that Oyenmwen Ikponmwen and David Orhewere would eventually become Husband and Wife. (Mr and Mrs #14)

We started out as friends way back in University of Benin where I studied Dentistry and she studied Chemical Engineering but we came together on the platform of Christian Fellowship International (CFi) UNIBEN/UBTH where we both served as leaders. From prior leadership assignments we first became Pastors in 2007/2008 session, I was Brother's Leader and she was Evangelism secretary and then in the next session, I became the 14th President and she was my Vice President. However all through the period of leadership, it never crossed my thoughts that I had already met my 'wife'. We were more engrossed in service to God and then academic pursuit alongside than thinking about relationships at that time. However I carefully and cautiously observed her like I did other CFi sisters.

We handed over in Jan 2010 and then she went off to serve almost immediately in Bauchi State. I remained in Benin, wrote final exams in October 2010 but didn't start Houseman-ship until July 2011, and then served in Abia State November 2012. All through the period we kept communication as much as we could and maintained the already existing friendship. CFi leadership commitment even increased with my becoming a Sector Director 2010-2011 and International General Secretary 2011-2014. It was a wonderful opportunity to meet beautiful and wonderful CFi ladies all over Nigeria and in fact I was certain I would get married to a CFi te but the question was WHO???

I'm an advocate of getting into a relationship when you are ready to get married not just merely testing the waters (though some relationships may not end up in marriage). Knowing that I was ready to settle down, i Initially tried to step up communications with one other close CFi sister but it didn't work out for good reasons and we are still very good friends. Then my eyes were 'opened' and I saw Oyenmwen like I had not seen her before so I followed that leading with frequent visits to the house, making more observations and confirming all suspicions and assumptions. Then it was time to make up my mind and even though I had been praying to God for a good wife (in fact I literally had sacrificed getting into a relationship in school for focus on leadership and I knew God was gonna reward the bargain) I needed a sign that it was Oyenmwen after all the choice of a life partner is a serious matter too.

The sign came on my birthday September 20, 2012. She was the only one who gave me a birthday gift (a crested Tommy Hilfiger polo shirt and that was surprising though) additionally her elder sister had a child same day so I had a birthday mate in the family too. It was now time to make proposals formal which I unconventionally did in December 2012 and when I told her she was the one I want to marry she laughed and said we would talk about it, of course with that laughter I knew she was GAME!!!

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Helen Fortune Nwabueze25 October 2014 at 05:06

    Wow that is a lovely love story. I learnt a lot from it too. Gonna tell mine too, soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to the fact that Oyemwen has a good man; one other of the good men being my husband :) ...... David Orhewere was my class rep in Uni; he's a man of character and loves God. A true leader, Selfless, a great man. I am also very sure he has chosen the right wife, knowing the kind of man David is. He took his time and most def got the right Mrs. God bless your marriage David....

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib